Reporting to the Director of Finance and Administration, the Staff Assistant provides a wide range of complex and confidential administrative and clerical duties to support the day-to-day operations of the Office of the Vice Provost for Advances in Learning (VPAL). The Staff Assistant collaborates with the VPAL Department Coordinator with the administrative aspects of department vendor and staffing needs, including maintaining the contract and vendor database, processing temporary hire requests, and coordinating hiring searches. The Staff Assistant maintains organized and current records and ensures the timely preparation of finance and administration paperwork, including consulting agreements and hiring requests. This position works closely with Human Resources and Payroll by initiating requests for new student and temporary staff for the department, managing internal record keeping, and maintaining an understanding of Harvard University policies and procedures around student and temporary staff. The Staff Assistant also supports VPAL’s Finance and Administration Team with related tasks as needed. Overall, the Staff Assistant provides general support to ensure that the administrative aspects of the department function effectively.
- Processes temporary hire requests, prepares and distributes paperwork, submits to Payroll and HR, submits work orders in temporary sourcing system, monitors temp appointments, posts temporary job positions, prepares and tracks additional pay forms
- Partners closely with HR to streamline new hire requests; troubleshoot time reporting/approval issues in PeopleSoft; reviews payroll coding, identify errors, and submit update requests as needed
- Prepares search committee materials (google folder, spreadsheet, notes doc), organizes and formats resumes, uploads to a folder, assists with researching best practices for job descriptions and position posting
- Manage student and temporary staff records in department and University databases; ensure new hire requests are tracked in accordance with project budgets
- Assists with the administrative aspects of staff recruitment; Distribute resumes, schedules committee meetings, and interviews, and makes travel arrangements as needed; help maintain departmental hiring and staffing records
- Provides information and communicates University policy to hiring supervisors and managers on policies and procedures regarding student and temporary staff; coordinates closely with the Department Coordinator and HR to ensure that University, State, and Federal policies are upheld
- Ability to handle complex and confidential information with discretion.
- Ability to work with multiple constituents on a variety of projects, be flexible, willing to take on assignments, and able to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team; takes initiative and follows-through to completion
- Excellent computer skills in a PC environment including Microsoft O365 suite, Google Suite, and competency with databases; experience with Harvard HR systems helpful
- Ability to work consistently and constructively in a fast-paced, highly matrixed environment.
- Eagerness to problem solve and assist others
- Ability to work effectively in an open office environment
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Houston, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A