Harvard John A. Paulson School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) seeks a Director of Science Operations to lead the science operations activities of the school, serve as SEAS’ safety officer, and oversee SEAS research cores. Reporting to the SEAS Dean for Research, the Director of Science Operations at SEAS serves as a key liaison between SEAS researchers, facilities, space planning and Harvard Office of Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) to ensure that SEAS facilities meet the operational needs, expectations, and safety standards of and for our researchers. The Director’s role spans the SEAS Cambridge campus and the Allston Science and Engineering Complex (SEC) campus.
- For the two recharge cores managed by SEAS, the 3D printing core and molecular & cellular biology core (which are official SEAS University Academic Service Centers), the Director along with the SEAS Finance office, is responsible for demonstrating compliance with federal requirements
- Manages six technical staff including professional development and performance evaluation, building a team community and atmosphere
- Collaborates with senior leadership to establish and maintain governance structures, including the management and operating models of research spaces and cores at SEAS
- Promotes the usage of the cores by researchers at SEAS, Harvard, and affiliated researchers
- For all cores and facilities, provides guidance, insight, and oversight (for non-FAS cores) for budgets, service rates, equipment purchases, approval of purchases, space governance, and policies of the shared facilities
- Ph.D. or other advanced degree (e.g., master’s degree) in life or physical sciences or a related engineering field, plus at least 2 years of experience in a research laboratory (beyond education).
- Prior experience managing or participating in a research core strongly preferred.
- Prior supervisory/management experience strongly preferred.
- Prior experience in a wet lab environment (e.g., life science, chemistry) strongly preferred.
- Able to thrive in a dynamic environment and resolve complex issues.
- Responsive to tasks, with fast turnaround times.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work collaboratively with diverse teams.
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Providence, RI, US
Application Deadline: N/A