Website City of McAllen
Under general supervision, the Automotive Technician performs complex and difficult auto mechanic work including repair and maintenance of vehicles and occasional repair of heavy equipment. The employee performs various services to City vehicles including diesel and/or gasoline powered on and off-road equipment with little to no assistance. The employee performs complete mechanic repair work such as: brakes, belts, starters and alternators, steering and suspension components, heating/cooling components, air conditioning components, lighting, drive-train components, fuel system repairs, transmission repairs, fluid exchanges, tire mounting, accessories, and preventive maintenance. The employee keeps proper documentation of work and records in computer software program, maintains and safeguards tools and equipment, maintains a safe and clean working area and must follow proper maintenance and repair procedures as instructed.
- Assists in maintaining professional communication between staff, visitors, and other business contacts.
- Inspects, diagnoses, and locates problems and/or issues on vehicles/equipment to determine the extent of damage or malfunction(s) by testing components and systems using instruments such as a diagnostic computer laptop, handheld diagnostic scanner, brake micrometers, chassis charts, a/c pressure gauges and other computerized diagnostic devices.
- Rewires lights, accessories, and instrument panels.
- Repairs and adjusts seats, doors, windows, and installs and repairs accessories.
- Raises light duty, medium duty, heavy duty vehicles and/or equipment utilizing hydraulic vehicle lifts, electrical mobile column lifts, hydraulic jacks, and electrical hoists.
- Repairs and services air conditioning, engine heating/cooling, and electrical systems.
- Reviews work orders with supervisor(s) and/or crew leader to obtain descriptions of vehicle problems and to discuss work to be performed and future repair requirements.
- Plans work order procedures, using charts, technical manuals, internet-site information, and experience, preparing time tables for completion of job.
- Must be capable of working with protective devices, working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines with moving parts and objects, and traveling by car/truck and have the ability to operate a motor vehicle and equipment.
- Employee must be able to handle stress as well as multiple tasks in spite of numerous interruptions.
- Job requires an accredited high school diploma or GED equivalent and one (1) year of post specialized training from a technical or vocational institute in automotive technology/mechanics.
- Post education may be waived or substituted with two (2) years of proven work experience as an auto mechanic.
- Job requires a valid Texas Commercial Drivers License (CDL Class B) or ability to obtain it within the first six months of hire.
- Must be capable of properly using hand tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, wrenches, pressure gauges, and precision instruments, as well as power tools such as pneumatic wrenches, jacks and hoists.
- Must specialize in repairing and maintaining parts of the engine, such as fuel injection systems, compressors, blowers, generators, starters, pumps. Employee is expected to be able to repair virtually any part on the vehicle.
- Employee must be able to communicate effectively the in English language.
- Job requires thorough technical and mechanical knowledge of all phases of gasoline powered vehicles and equipment to perform the tasks as assigned in an effective and expedient manner.
- Must be capable of working with all mechanical tools, diagnostic equipment, soldering iron and other small tools and hand-held tools required to perform maintenance/repairs.
Company: City of McAllen
Vacancy Type: Full Time
Job Location: Weslaco, TX, US
Application Deadline: N/A